October is breast cancer awareness month. In Indonesia, this cancer is the number one cause of death. The good news, now many women are able to fight against breast cancer because of early detection.
You need to know this information to know facts about the breast:
11. Surgical removal of the breast (radical mastectomy) was first performed in the late 1800s by William S Halsted, a surgeon at Johns Hopkins. He is also the inventor of anesthesia.
12. Early detection is very important. When breast cancer is detected early, the patient's life expectancy is increasing. American cancer community suggest, you should do a breast health check (done doctor) once every three years at the age of 30 years. Do mammograms at the age of 40 years.
More intensive examination is recommended in those who have a family history of breast cancer. In addition, you should check your own breasts every month.
13. doctor will determine the stage of cancer at time of diagnosis to establish the treatment plan and determine the patient's prognosis. This can be done by using radiography (X-rays, ultrasound, MRI, and related tests) and biopsy, as well as making and testing of lymph cancer.
14. type of breast cancer can be determined from the size of the tumor and its spread region. Stage one is the size of tumors reached a diameter of 2 cm and negative lymph nodes. Stage two, the tumor reaches a diameter of between 2 to 5 cm and positive lymph achieve. Stage three, less than 5 cm, but spread to the lymph nodes or chest area. Stage four is when the tumor has spread to distant areas.
15. There are some medical term for breast. Mamm-o together with mammography, mast-o together with mastectomy; maz-o together with "amazon", that does not have breasts, such as the Amazon warrior women who breast removes its history to improve his archery.
16. Both men (1 of 180) and women (1 of 50) may suffer politelia-have one or more extra nipples (usually often equated as a mole). If found in the nipple area or in the milk ducts, the risk of disease affecting the mammary gland becomes large.
17. There are many types of breast cancer. Obviously drugs to treat one another is not the same.
18. An estimated 85 percent of breast cancers occur in women with no history of the disease. In contrast, 12 to 15 percent caused by mutations associated with breast cancer gene BRCA or PALB.
19. Life expectancy is increasing with breast cancer. The death rate from breast cancer continues to decline by about 2 percent since 1990.
20. breast enlargement with implants (either silicone or saline) is still a plastic surgery procedure that is of interest to women. (Eva Erviana)